STEPHEN H. CLARKE-WILLSON, Ph.D.
21916 NE 20th Way, Sammamish, WA 98074
Phone: (425) 281-2696
E-mail: Stephen @ above-the-garage.com
Technology development; my career has alternated between individual contributor roles and management roles in fast growing companies.
As a manager: experience as a first, second and third level manager in fast growing game studios. As an individual contributor: experience with C/C++ graphics and server systems.
Studio Technical Director ArenaNet 5/2013 - Present
Server Programming Team Lead ArenaNet 5/2011 - 4/2013
Server Programmer ArenaNet 9/2005-4/2011
- Lead/manage development and release of restartable, dynamically updatable, multi-threaded, asynchronous, near-real-time, continuously running, error free highly optimized game systems for Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2.
Game Technology Consultant, Above the Garage Productions 5/2004 – 9/2005
- Clients: Gas Powered Games, Artistry Entertainment
Vice President and Executive Studio Director, Adrenium Games Studio 1/2000 – 5/2004
Head of R&D- Black Ship Games Studio, 6/2003 – 5/2004
Sr. Lead Client Programmer Cavedog Entertainment, 3/1998 – 12/1999
Game Technology Consultant, Above the Garage Productions, 4/1994 – 2/1998
- Clients: Intervista Software, Virgin Sound and Vision, DreamCatcher Interactive, Extreme Audio Reality, Cavedog Entertainment
Vice President, Worldwide Product Development Virgin Interactive Entertainment Inc., 1993 – 1994
Vice President, Product Development Virgin Interactive Entertainment Inc., 1991 – 1993
Director of Development Virgin Interactive Entertainment Inc., 1990 – 1991
Software Architect, PDA Engineering (Patran Division), 1988 – 1989
Research Scientist, Northrop Research and Technology Center, 1986 – 1988
Paperboy, Daily Pilot, 1967-1971
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, specializing in Software Engineering (1986), UC Irvine
- M.S. in Computer Science (1981), UC Irvine
- B.S. in Computer Science (cum laude, 1981), UC Irvine
- National Merit Scholarship Finalist (1977), Corona del Mar High School
Juror, Milia d’Or Multimedia Awards, Cannes, France, 1996